Saturday, November 10, 2007

Nature's Coloring Book

Originally published November 3, 2006

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.
John Muir (1838 - 1914)




I have more to say about John Muir and autumn, but it's too late to expound. I'll try to come back tomorrow and add something!



Friday, November 3


So, anyway... back to John Muir! I don't really have anything profound to say about the preservationist. I really don't even know that much about him. (I just found out, for instance, that he spent time in Indianapolis!) However, I sort of have soft spot for him apart even from all the amazing work he did with Yosemite and the Sierra Club. You see, one of my father's uncles was good friends with Muir, and even though I never had a chance to know my great-uncle it feels like his friendship with Muir transcends the years and becomes a family connection. So in effect John Muir is a member of my family and I'm proud that my ancestors were part of his history, however minimally. And whenever I hear his name, as I did just last week when I got news of a friend walking the John Muir Trail, I get a warm fuzzy feeling.


Autumn's peak has passed here in the Midwest. It's always a welcome sight, all those beautiful russet colors and picture postcard blue skies -- the crisp air and the plentiful harvest foods, apples and cider, pumpkins and pies spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. And yet... winter is around the corner. I wish I could be as excited for snow and mittens and hot chocolate! In the meantime I'll enjoy shuffling through the crunchy leaves and breathing the woodfire-scented air coming from the neighborhood's chimneys.


Christmas is only 52 days away!

No comments: