Saturday, November 10, 2007

Cancer Never Sleeps...




Originally published March 13, 2007

I sent this letter around to my non-Shieldmaiden friends and family and I thought this might be the best way to get the word out to my on-line friends. Please consider donating to the Relay for Life!


Hello dear Friends and Family!

Just over twenty years ago Dr. Gordy Klatt, a colorectal surgeon, spent 24 hours circling a track in Tacoma, Washington to raise money for cancer research. He raised $27,000. Thus began the Relay for Life...


June 1-2 is the Wayne Township Relay for Life - this will be Team Peregrine's Posse's second year participating and we can really use your help!


First... we could use new team members to walk with us. The Relay is a bit different from the usual 5ks, like the Komen Walk (which is a wonderful, worthy cause too!). Instead of having to walk a specific distance, the Relay spans 24 hours (symbolizing that cancer never sleeps) - team members walk as long or as little as they want. The team just needs to have one member on the track at a time. If you think you might be interested in joining Peregrine's Posse, drop me a line or sign up online at: http://www.acsevents.org/relay/in/waynetownship/peregrinesposse


Second, (and probably most important) we can use your financial help. I think we've all known someone with cancer (heck, you all know me!) - speaking from experience I'd rather not have anyone else I know have to go through it. Cancer research has come so far over the past twenty years. I would say that's money well-spent! So, to donate and keep the research going, check out my Relay page at: http://www.acsevents.org/relay/in/waynetownship/aibrean


Third, the Relay is a community event. If you're in town, please visit us sometime during the Relay. There will be lots of tents to investigate with food and fun items for sale - it's a fun carnival-like atmosphere. You'll have a great time! (And if you don't live in the area, I encourage you to check out your local Relay!!)


Fourth, money and time are tight, I know. If it doesn't work out that you can walk or donate, please keep me and Team Peregrine's Posse in your thoughts and prayers for a successful Relay!


*Picture credit goes to Kally from Moot 3

No comments: