Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Sojourn in the Shire - My Adventures in Middle-earth, Part II



Thursday, September 29, 2011

Day Two: His house was perfect, whether you liked food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling, or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all. Evil things did not come into that valley…


This day was devoted to all things Elven.

I am not exactly an early riser, though once up I’m set for the day. Knowing myself well, I signed up for one of the late breakfast times and was able to rise and prepare for the day in a leisurely, peaceful fashion that I can only hope to attain at home. I breakfasted with two delightful ladies, one from Louisiana and the other from a closer distance (KY? OH? I wish I could remember…). The Village offers a morning buffet, but as I’m not fond of eggs I opted this morning for dry cereal and OJ, though the wee pumpkin muffins with butter are addictive and always a big draw!

My first order of business was to visit the “Trading Post” to check-in officially and pick up my registration bag. I also took a brief turn around the room to look at the various wares for sale and made a mental note to return on payday (thank you direct deposit!) to do a bit of shopping. I chatted with a few people along my way, and then sat down to consult the schedule – there were plenty of activities from which to choose – but as part of my intent for this time away was to rediscover my “center,” I decided to let the Spirit move me as the days unfolded. I pulled out my journal (a red one like Bilbo’s famous Red Book of Westmarch) and sat outside on a bench to begin my own tale of a journey.

I had not yet decided what I planned for the morning… maybe walk the Village, take some pictures, etc. But as I sat there, one of our panelists – Constance Wagner – saw me writing and asked, “You are coming to my writing workshop in ten minutes, aren’t you?” And, of course, I said, “Yes, I’ll be there!”

Now, it was not in my mind to do that at all. I’ve not had much success in workshops or writers’ groups. Fantasy-writing seems always to be looked down upon by “serious” writers – and Young Adult Fantasy-writing even more so (Harry Potter & Twilight notwithstanding… though they, of course, have their detractors as well, I suppose). But as I said, I was letting circumstances as they came up lead me, and I’d be less than perceptive, indeed, if I didn’t follow both Constance’s and the Spirit’s invitation. So, I gathered up my belongings and headed over to the workshop.

In her presentation, Constance led us through some guided visualizations designed to allow our creative minds to wander along the paths of her meditative words that drew inspiration from Professor Tolkien’s works. There were four exercises: some individuals wrote distinct and separate paragraphs – sometimes even actual mini-stories -- on the topics, such as the Istari or Galadriel’s Mirror, and some of us were a bit less specific to the LOTR world. For myself, I took Constance’s suggestion to tie each of the visualizations to each other, focusing on that place I go to when I need to regroup. My “happy place,” some people are wont to call it. I think, though, that most of us responded to the last exercise most readily – the one inspired by the Rohirrim. Perhaps it is because the words were more tangible and active? This is what I wrote:

But the heart of the hearth, where the fire of welcome burns brightest, that is where the stories coalesce into history. A place at the table, era upon era, the tales are spoken, then written, then imprinted on the hearts of all who listen.

All in all, an hour well-spent with an encouraging room of fellow writers – as I said, not my usual experience with such a group – but then with this group of people I should’ve had more faith in them. Perhaps it will give me more encouragement to seek out another local writers’ group…

By this time, lunch was being distributed down in the Dancing/Prancing Pony, so I went to get mine and started back to I-don’t-know-where… perhaps my room at that point. The riverboat cruise was scheduled for after lunch and I wanted to drop some extra items off, eat and then head to the boat landing.

But again, circumstances intervened… along the way, I met with the delightful Phyllis and Ritchey on my way back and spent some quality time under the shade of a lovely tree chatting with them and catching up. So as the time approached to make for the boat before it set sail (does a riverboat set sail?) I gave up stopping at my room and detoured to my car instead. This was only one of two times I drove during my stay – the boat landing, while quite near the Village, would be quite a hike (and some DID hike down there – maybe next time for me…).

It was a beautiful, sunny afternoon – warm for late September, but a perfect day to be out on the water. This would be my third trip down the Kentucky River – or the Anduin, as it was called during our stay; and though I’d heard about and seen the River before, what mattered most to me was just being on the boat – I never pass up an opportunity to climb aboard! So, I reveled in the cruise, giving half an ear to our captain’s banter, but dividing the larger share of my attention between my lunch, the sights along the river and observing the interesting fellowship aboard. Again, another hour well-spent!

Late afternoon I made my way back over to the west side of the Village for Elven Choir practice. Thanks to Galadriel and Legolas we rehearsed three Elven chorales: two from Howard Shore’s score of the films and one from the musical. We only had an hour to go through them and we all seemed to settle into The Passing of the Grey Elves the best, so it was decided the choir would just sing that piece (Galadriel & Legolas sang Saruman from the musical as a duet). I thought I would have plenty of time to go back to my room and dress for the evening in Elven garb, but it was decided to meet back an hour later to go through the music again – so it was a bit of a rush job, but I made it back in plenty of time, and even managed not to be out of breath!

Upon walking into the Meadow View Barn again, the transformation from the night before was magical! The interesting rafters and sunset through the slatted walls were the same, but added to it were majestic columns and gauzy fabric billowing in the slight evening breeze. Harp music wafted gently as we ate another delicious meal among the beautiful and ageless Eldar and their guests.

This is the night where those who want to show off their skills for creating their LOTR garb are displayed to greatest effect. The costume pageant is always a much-anticipated part of the evening, and those who participated did not disappoint. To be clear, sewing is not necessarily a requisite of great costuming… there are also leather-workers, metal-workers, jewelers, make-up artists and even those who just have an innate knack for finding and putting together “off-the-rack” clothing and accessories in amazingly authentic-looking garb. Well done to one and all! I, myself, did not participate as my gown was one I’ve used for some time. Perhaps at the next one (Oh, crap!) I’ll have the means to create a new one worthy of modeling for the Court of Imladris!

As I mentioned earlier, the Elven Choir also performed for Lord Elrond and Lady Celebrian and the other worthies in the chamber this evening as part of The Hall of Fire. I’ve been singing with my parish choir for many years, so it’s always a great challenge to sing with other people one hasn’t grown accustomed to performing with on a regular basis. There are so many gifted individuals at this gathering – it really keeps an elfmaid on her toes!

Not only did we have more singing and music from a host of talented musicians (including Marc, Samantha & now Jamie), but there was also Constance's poetry, re-enactments of Galadriel’s Prologue and Mirror speeches from FOTR, as well as a spoof of the Council of Elrond. I was particularly taken with artist Jef Murray’s chanting of Tolkien’s literary song, “Oh Elbereth!” and poem “Earendil the Mariner.” I love that Tolkien’s words married with Gregorian chant so well. It’s well-known that the Professor was a devout Catholic, so this combination seems eminently appropriate. It also resonates with this Catholic girl pretty well too.

So, with those images echoing in my mind I wended back toward the eastern corner of the Shire to write, to sleep to, dream…

2 comments:

Wiz ~ said...

Wonderful!

Netherfieldmom said...

Keep goin! Enjoyed it.